Government Vacancies Enquiry System
Hong Kong Police Force
Police Pay Scale Point 23 ($42,665) (as commensurate with respective entry qualifications) to Police Pay Scale Point 42 ($84,250) (Note 1) per month
(a)(i) a Hong Kong Degree, or equivalent, with "Level 1" results in the two language papers ("Use of Chinese" and "Use of English") in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE) (Notes 2 to 5) [Entry point: Police Pay Scale Point 25 ($45,305 per month) (Note 6)]; or
(ii) a Hong Kong Degree, or a Higher Diploma from a Hong Kong polytechnic/polytechnic university/ Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education/ technical college, or an accredited Associate Degree from a Hong Kong tertiary institution, or a Diploma from a registered post-secondary college awarded after the date of its registration, or equivalent, and Level 2 (Note 7) or above in Chinese Language and English Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSEE) or the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE), or equivalent; or have a pass in the English Language Proficiency Test and Chinese Language Proficiency Test for Police Inspector recruitment exercise (Note 2), or equivalent [Entry point : Police Pay Scale Point 24 ($43,980 per month)]; or
(iii) A pass in two subjects at Advanced Level in the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (2A) plus three other subjects at Grade C or above in the HKCEE (3O), or a combination of results in five HKDSEE subjects of Level 3 in New Senior Secondary (NSS) subjects, “Attained with Distinction” / "Attained with Distinction (I)" in Applied Learning (ApL) subjects (subject to a maximum of two ApL subjects) and Grade C in Other Language subjects, or equivalent, and Level 2 (Note 7) or above in Chinese Language and English Language in HKDSEE or HKCEE or equivalent, or have a pass in the English Language Proficiency Test and Chinese Language Proficiency Test for Police Inspector recruitment exercise (Note 2) or equivalent. [Entry point : Police Pay Scale Point 23 ($42,665 per month)];
(b) be able to read and write Chinese and speak fluent Cantonese;
(c) minimum physical standards as follows:-
Male : height 163 cm, weight 50 kg; Female : height 152 cm, weight 42 kg; physical fitness test is a pre-requisite;
(d) pass an initial eyesight test without the aid of any eyesight correction tools; and
(e) must be permanent resident of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and have resided in Hong Kong for at least seven years.
(1) With effect from 1st January 2010, new recruits to the Inspector of Police are eligible for the salary payments from HK$ 72,645 (Police Pay Scale Point 38) to HK$ 84,250 (Police Pay Scale Point 42) by passing the Inspectorate Standard III Professional Examination and attaining advancement to Senior Inspector of Police.
(2) Students who will attain the requisite academic qualification within the current academic year may also apply; if selected, appointment will be subject to their obtaining the requisite academic qualification within the current academic year.
(3) Starting from the CRE held in December 2006, while candidates' results in the Aptitude Test (AT) paper are classified as pass or fail, the results of the Use of Chinese (UC) and Use of English (UE) papers are classified as 'Level 2', 'Level 1' or 'Fail', with 'Level 2' being the highest.
(4) Grade 'C' or above and Grade 'D' in UE of the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE), or equivalent, are accepted as equivalent to 'Level 2' and 'Level 1' results respectively in the UE paper of the CRE. Grade 'C' or above and Grade 'D' Chinese language and Culture or Chinese Language and Literature of the HKALE are accepted as equivalent to 'Level 2' and 'Level 1' results respectively in the UC paper of the CRE.
(5) Applicants with an overall band of 6.5 or above with no subtest score below band 6 obtained in the same sitting in the Academic Module of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) within the two-year validity period of the test result are considered as having met the English language proficiency requirement (item (a)(i) of entry requirements) of the Police Inspector post. The IELTS test result must be valid on the date of application.
(6) Degree holding applicants will be eligible for the degree pay point if they possess the requisite results in the UC and UE papers in the CRE or equivalent at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(7) For civil service appointment purpose, ‘Grade C’ and ‘Grade E’ in Chinese Language and English Language (Syllabus B) in the HKCEE before 2007 are accepted administratively as comparable to ‘Level 3’ and ‘Level 2’ respectively in Chinese Language and English Language in the 2007 HKCEE and henceforth.
A Police Inspector will be deployed on various duties, including supervisory and operational duties, covering all aspects of police work. He/she will be subject to discipline under the Police Force Ordinance and is required to work shifts and / or irregular hours and work in an area outside the HKSAR.
Terms of Appointment:
New recruits will be appointed on civil service probationary terms for three years, and may be considered for appointment on the prevailing permanent terms upon satisfactory completion of the probationary period.
(a) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
(b) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
(c) Civil service vacancies are posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates selected for these vacancies will be appointed on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service and will become civil servants on appointment.
(d) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(e) The information on the maximum pay point is for reference only and may be subject to changes.
(f) Fringe benefits include paid leave, medical and dental benefits, and where appropriate, assistance in housing.
(g) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend recruitment examination and/or interview.
(h) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the selection interview/written examination without being subject to further shortlisting. Applicants who have declared disabilities found suitable for appointment may be given an appropriate degree of preference over other applicants whose suitability for appointment is considered comparable to that of the former. The Government policy and other related measures on employment of persons with disabilities are set out in the booklet “Employ People Based on Their Abilities – Application for Government Jobs by Persons with Disabilities” which is available for reference on the Civil Service Bureau's website at http://www.csb.gov.hk under “Administration of the Civil Service – Appointments”.
(i) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the below enquiry address.
(j) Towards the application deadline, our on-line system would likely be overloaded due to large volume of applications. To ensure timely completion of your on-line application, it is advisable to submit the application as early as possible.
(k) For the purpose of heightening public awareness of the Basic Law (BL) and promoting a culture of learning of BL in the community, applicants for civil service jobs will be assessed on their BL knowledge. The BL test result will constitute an appropriate weighting in a candidate's overall assessment.
How to apply:
Application Forms [G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)] are obtainable from any Home Affairs Enquiry Centres of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centre of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau's web site (http://www.csb.gov.hk). To avoid delayed or unsuccessful delivery of applications by post, please ensure that the correct address is clearly printed or written on the envelope and sufficient postage has been affixed before posting. Please also specify the title of the post being applied for on the envelope. Mail items bearing insufficient postage will not be delivered to this Department and will be returned to the sender or disposed of by the Hongkong Post, where appropriate. Applicants will bear any consequences arising from paying insufficient postage. Applicants may also apply online through the Civil Service Bureau’s website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Applications submitted by fax or e-mail will not be accepted.
Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from HK institutions/HK Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the below enquiry address.
Police Recruitment Division, 37/F, Arsenal House, Police Headquarters, 1 Arsenal Street, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Applications are accepted all year round until further notice.
Web Site of Department:
Application via Internet: