Government Vacancies Enquiry System
Fire Services Department
General Disciplined Services (Rank and File) Pay Scale Point 4 ($21,285) per month to General Disciplined Services (Rank and File) Pay Scale Point 14 ($29,455) per month.
(1) (a) have Level 2 or equivalent (Note a) or above in five subjects in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSEE), or equivalent; or (b) have Level 2 (Note b) /Grade E or above in five subjects in the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE), or equivalent (The five subjects may include Chinese Language and English Language.);
(2) have met the language proficiency requirements of Level 2 (Note b)or above in Chinese Language and English Language in HKDSEE or HKCEE, or equivalent; and be able to speak fluent Cantonese;
(3) be able to pass a physical fitness test and job-related performance test (please refer to Fire Services Department's website or call the recruitment hotline for details); and
(4) be able to pass a written aptitude test.
Possessing a valid Hong Kong driving licence is an advantage.
(a) For civil service appointment purpose, “Attained with Distinction” in Applied Learning subjects (subject to a maximum of two Applied Learning subjects), and Grade C in Other Language subjects in HKDSEE are accepted as equivalent to Level 3 in the New Senior Secondary subjects in HKDSEE. “Attained” in Applied Learning subjects (subject to a maximum of two Applied Learning subjects), and Grade E in Other Language subjects in HKDSEE are accepted as equivalent to Level 2 in the New Senior Secondary subjects in HKDSEE.
(b) For civil service appointment purpose, Grade C and Grade E in Chinese Language and English Language (Syllabus B) in the HKCEE before 2007 are accepted administratively as comparable to Level 3 and Level 2 respectively in Chinese Language and English Language in the 2007 HKCEE and henceforth.
(c) By the closing day of the application period (i.e. 17 January 2019), applicants must possess the relevant academic qualifications set out above.
(d) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend the selection interview.
(e) For the purpose of heightening public awareness of the Basic Law (BL) and promoting a culture of learning of BL in the community, applicants for civil service jobs will be assessed on their BL knowledge. The BL test result will constitute an appropriate weighting in a candidate’s overall assessment.
An Ambulanceman/Ambulancewoman is mainly deployed on emergency ambulance service, carrying out pre-hospital care and related ambulance duties; and on driving ambulances, cars and vans. An Ambulanceman/Ambulancewoman is subject to discipline, required to work shifts, wear uniforms and attain satisfactory results in the physical fitness assessments arranged by the Department.
Terms of Appointment:
(1) New recruits will be appointed on prevailing probationary terms for 3 years and may be considered for appointment on the prevailing permanent terms upon satisfactory completion of the probationary period. (2) Before passage of probation bar, appointees should (a) pass an examination at the conclusion of the Foundation Training Course; (b) possess a valid Fire Services driving licence; (c) pass the Physical Fitness Assessment within 6 months before confirmation; and (d) subject to satisfactory completion of service, fulfillment of the requirements of the grade and service need.
Fringe benefits include paid leave, medical and dental benefits, and where appropriate, housing assistance.
(1) Civil service vacancies are posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates selected for these vacancies will be appointed on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service and will become civil servants on appointment.
(2) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
(3) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
(4) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail together with the application form to the Appointments Section, 8/F, Fire Services Headquarters Building, 1 Hong Chong Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon. Candidates with non-local academic qualifications who apply on-line should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail, within one week after close of application period to the above address, and the online application number should be quoted on the envelope and the copies of supporting documents. If candidates fail to provide the supporting documents as requested, their applications will not be considered.
(5) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(6) The information on the maximum pay point is for reference only and it may be subject to changes.
(7) Candidates will be invited to attend the Physical Fitness Test and Job-related Performance Test. They will normally receive an invitation in one to four weeks after their submission of applications. Invitation will be issued via email. Please ensure email address is properly provided. Those candidates who have passed the above tests will be invited to attend the Written Aptitude Test. Those who are not invited for the Written Aptitude Test may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
(8) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the selection interview without being subject to further shortlisting. Applicants who have declared disabilities found suitable for appointment may be given an appropriate degree of preference over other applicants whose suitability for appointment is considered comparable to that of the former. The Government policy and other related measures on employment of persons with disabilities are set out in the booklet “Employ People Based on Their Abilities – Application for Government Jobs by Persons with Disabilities” which is available for reference on the Civil Service Bureau's website at http://www.csb.gov.hk under “Administration of the Civil Service – Appointments”.
How to apply:
(1) Candidates may apply: (a) by submitting the completed application form (G.F.340 [Rev. 3/2013]) in person to the drop box provided at G/F, Fire Services Headquarters Building, 1 Hong Chong Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon (opening hours during recruiting period: Monday to Friday (except public holiday) – 9:00 am to 6:30 pm); or (b) by post, forwarding a completed application form (G.F.340 [Rev. 3/2013]) to the Appointments Section, 8/F, Fire Services Headquarters Building, 1 Hong Chong Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon. The postmark date on the envelope will be regarded as the date of application. Please ensure that the correct address is clearly printed or written on the envelope and sufficient postage is affixed before posting so as to avoid unsuccessful delivery of application. Any underpaid mail items will be returned or disposed of by the Hongkong Post; or (c) by on-line application through the Civil Service Bureau's website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Towards the application deadline, on-line system would likely be overloaded due to large volume of applications. To ensure timely completion of on-line application, it is advisable for candidates to submit their applications as early as possible.
(2) Application forms (G.F.340 [Rev. 3/2013]) are obtainable from any fire stations or ambulance depots, Home Affairs Enquiry Centre of District Offices, Home Affairs Department and Job Centre of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau's website (http://www.csb.gov.hk).
(3) All applications must be submitted in accordance with the aforesaid methods. Applications which are incomplete, late and applications submitted through other means will not be considered.
Appointments Section, 8/F, Fire Services Headquarters Building, 1 Hong Chong Road,
Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon.
Newspaper(s) Advertised and Date(s):
Ming Pao on 4 January 2019 & 11 January 2019
South China Morning Post on 5 January 2019 & 12 January 2019.
Web Site of Department:
Application via Internet: